May your lives be filled with flavor!

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
With each story, there's a memory; with each memory, there's a scent; with each scent, there's wonderful food... and with wonderful food, there's always a story.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Spiders & Measuring Cups; my two biggest phobias…



SPIDER
Pronunciation: \ˈspī-dər\

Dictionary Definition: any of an order (Araneae syn. Araneida) of arachnids having the abdomen usually un-segmented and constricted at the base, chelicerae modified into poison fangs, and two or more pairs of abdominal spinnerets for spinning threads of silk for various uses, as in making cocoons for their eggs or webs to catch prey.

Toni Taverna’s Definition: A huge, hairy, volatile & venomous insect that is on this earth for the sole purpose of terrifying me and eventually leading to my demise.

When my brothers and I were kids we lived in a nice house on the top of a hill in Middletown, NY. One summer, the town decided to replace the broken down slabs of slate on our street with shiny new concrete sidewalks. We were aware that it would take some time to complete the project but we also knew it would lessen the number of daily bumps & bruises we sustained from bike riding on the existing ruins and we were very excited. Before we knew it, there were crews of large, burly men, backhoes, dump trucks, concrete mixers and plenty of dust right outside our window… but it was what emerged on the inside of our house that was terrifying to me… SPIDERS… BIG, HAIRY SPIDERS!!!

Apparently, these horrific creatures liked the peace & quiet of our house as much as we did. They were everywhere; in the cellar, on the walls in our bedrooms, in the corners of the living room and the ceiling of the kitchen. Now my mom said that I exaggerated the size of these creatures, or at least she did until the day when she frantically called my dad to come home and kill the “tarantula” by the washer & dryer in the basement! Just like NEVER swimming in the ocean after seeing “JAWS”, that summer planted a life long fear into me that has done nothing but escalate through the years! To this day, if I see a spider I wrap my arms around myself and freeze in my tracks; those treacherous beasts will be the death of me yet!


MEASURE
Pronunciation: \ˈme-zhər

Dictionary Definition: A fixed or suitable limit.

Toni Taverna’s Definition: A confinement of personal expression.

I think my mom’s despise for cooking and her love for baking all stem from the (what I call) mind-numbing undertaking of measurement. When you cook “real food”, there is almost always room for modification; with baking… just about every ingredient must be measured exactly or you will run the risk of your final creation falling, clumping, burning or not tasting like it should.

Why would I rather create an exquisite work of art satiated with flubs, flaws and feelings when I could simply paint by numbers and express someone else’s vision? It’s personal… the love of cooking & entertaining is very personal to me and each individual dish comes from my hands and my heart. Like a snowflake… no two are alike.

Okay, okay… enough of the fluff! Below is an example of a recipe which needs no measurements; just your fingers to lick and taste, allowing you to create… not re-create…

Hot & Bubbly Spinach Artichoke Dip

Thawed, frozen chopped spinach
Marinated artichoke hearts chopped
Cream cheese
Sour cream
Mayonnaise
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Salt
Garlic powder
Paprika for sprinkling


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Squeeze all water out of spinach then combine all ingredients in a bowl; mix together thoroughly. Pour mixture into a glass baking dish. Sprinkle Paprika on top so dip turns golden brown. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until dip is bubbly and heated through. Serve with assorted crackers and tortilla chips.

So if you’re feeling a little blue today, go into the kitchen and express yourself then join me for dessert… chocolate cake with chocolate frosting baked by someone else… hey, I never said I didn’t like to eat it!!! Cioccolato è amore!

No comments:

Post a Comment