May your lives be filled with flavor!

My photo
Boston, MA, United States
With each story, there's a memory; with each memory, there's a scent; with each scent, there's wonderful food... and with wonderful food, there's always a story.

Monday, October 5, 2009

All Loafed Up with My Family!!!


For anyone who knows the maternal side of my family, you know that they (especially you Uncle Bill) will use ANY excuse to have a party… ANY! We have hosted events such as “Mother’s Day Happy Hour”, numerous “Baked Bean Tosses”, the christening of the “Chickie-Pooh”, “General Montgomery Day Bashes”, “Happy Halloweenie” barbeques and “Crazy Hat Parties” for Easter Sunday. Our most recent excuse for a party was historic though…


One evening, I was talking to my uncle on the phone and it appeared to me… shockingly… that he was a little tipsy; it was a Saturday and that’s the only day of the week that he allows himself to indulge. He puts on no airs about himself and he has a distinct “rural sophistication” like none I’ve ever known before… the man drinks the best Merlot and top shelf Single Malt Scotch out of a mason jar!!! He asked what I was doing that evening and I told him that I had a meatloaf baking in the oven. “Meatloaf? Meatloaf? I LOVE meatloaf!” he exclaimed, and before anyone knew what had hit them, “THE 2009 HUDD FAMILY MEATLOAF COOK-OFF” was born!

There were big meatloaves, small meatloaves, meatloaves with ketchup, meatloaves with BBQ sauce, beef meatloaves, turkey meatloaves, road kill meatloaves; one loaf in particular looked like a shriveled up old dinosaur’s pee-pee (didn’t touch that one) but hey… everyone gave it their best shot! Meatloaf isn’t my specialty but mine was baked with roasted garlic, peppers, onions and sour cream and I won 2nd prize… which was nothing.

My cousin’s husband, Todd took home 1st prize… which was nothing… but the title was well deserved as his loaf had a huge log of cheddar cheese oozing out of the middle of it… can you say Yummmmmeeeee?

My other cousin’s husband, Tom was the big competitor though… he antagonized my aunt & uncle for days before. Unfortunately for him, he was sick that day and by the time my cousin brought it over for him we were all “meatloafed out”. Therefore, Tom won the Boobie prize which was something! It was a key chain that moaned certain sexual sounds when you pushed a button which I had recycled from a previous gift given to me by a hot women’s underwear model… you know who you are, Joe! I don’t think Tom appreciated being sick that day or the wonderful prize that he won but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the key chain will be showing up again somewhere soon!

Moral of the story… food & family are the best reasons to celebrate; even if they do look like a dinosaur’s pee-pee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment